Mercury-Safe Dentistry

Home/Services/Mercury-Safe Dentistry
Mercury-Safe Dentistry 2017-01-16T19:21:15+00:00

Mercury had been tied to dentistry for many years. Unfortunately, mercury is not a biocompatible substance, meaning that prolonged exposure to mercury has negative effects on the human body. Many health problems may be tied to dental amalgam.

Amalgam

mercury free dentist utah countyAmalgam is a dental material that has been used to fill cavities caused be decay in the teeth. Amalgam is a mixture of metals, including mercury, silver, tin and copper. This mixture has been used by dentists for more than a century, because it is durable, functional and inexpensive.

Amalgam fillings are a silver color, therefore many people call them “silver filings.”

Amalgam releases low levels of mercury vapor that can be inhaled. Mercury exposure is related to adverse effects in the brain and kidneys. It may also be possible for amalgam to break down over time, releasing toxic mercury into the body.

Many dentists, including Dr. Chandler, offer safe alternatives to amalgam. Remember that these fillings will be with you for many years. Make sure that you aren’t sacrificing good health!

One option is a resin filling. Not only is this substance biocompatible, it is also a more natural tooth color. Resin is made from a special type of plastic and powdered glass.

Removing Mercury from the Mouth

Many dentists now offer procedures for removing amalgam fillings and replacing them with more biocompatible ones. Studies show that removing amalgam and replacing with a biocompatible substance can lead to the disappearance of negative health symptoms. Dr. Chandler offers many mercury-free dentistry options.

Removing mercury fillings can lead to a significant exposure and subsequent side effects if not done properly.  Dr. Chandler in Utah County takes pride in removing old metal restorations with minimum exposure to the patient or the team.

Click: Learn more.

Additional Information